David H. Kupfer is a trial lawyer with extensive experience litigating complex commercial disputes and representing plaintiffs and defendants in civil and criminal matters and regulatory investigations.
David has represented financial institutions, life sciences and technology firms, venture and private equity funds and real estate firms in bankruptcy, state and federal courts, as well as in arbitration. He has also represented creditors in complex restructuring proceedings including the restructurings of LTL Management, Mallinckrodt Pharmaceuticals, J.C. Penney, and Claire’s.
David devotes significant time to pro bono work, and has regularly represented low-income clients in fair housing and felony criminal matters.
Prior to joining the firm, David worked at two international law firms and clerked for the Honorable Henry B. Pitman, U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York.
Prior to joining Kasowitz
- Private-equity magnate David Storper in several actions against Wilbur Ross and WL Ross & Co. involving breach of contract and breach of fiduciary duties related to WL Ross’s flagship private equity funds.
- AIB Group in an action against its prime broker, related to a five-year, $700 million foreign-exchange fraud.
- JPMorgan Chase in numerous actions in state and federal court related to mortgage-backed securities.
- Moody’s in a Department of Justice investigation.
- Fidelity National Financial’s Black Knight Unit in a securities opt-out action brought by Maverick Funds.
- Newlink Genetics in a 10b-5 class action related to a failed drug trial.
- ChromaDex in multiple actions in federal court against Elysium Health, related to false advertising, trade libel, and deceptive practices.
- Olo in a contract dispute with DoorDash.
Bankruptcy Litigation Experience
- Official Committee of Talc Creditors II in bankruptcy proceedings of LTL Management related to mass torts by Johnson & Johnson.
- Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in bankruptcy proceeding of pharmaceutical giant Mallinckrodt.
- Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in bankruptcy proceeding of J.C. Penney.
- Liquidating trustee in fiduciary duty action against founders of Fuhu.
- Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in bankruptcy proceeding of Videology.
- Official Committee of Unsecured Creditors in bankruptcy proceeding of Claire’s.