Additional Guidance for Employers Regarding New York's Anti-Sexual Harassment Legislation
Earlier this year, New York State and New York City adopted comprehensive anti-sexual harassment legislation that imposed significant new obligations on employers. Both New York State and the New York City Commission on Human Rights have now issued additional guidance for complying with the requirements of the new laws. This article provides New York employers with an overview of their obligations and upcoming deadlines.
- As of September 6, 2018, all employers with employees working in New York City must conspicuously display a legal-size (8.5 inches x 14 inches) anti-sexual harassment poster in both English arid Spanish.
- As of September 6, 2018, all New York City employers must provide new hires with an anti-sexual harassment "factsheet." As an alternative to providing the factsheet to new hires, New York City employers may incorporate the information in their employee handbooks so long as the handbooks are provided to new hires on their first day of employment.
- As of October 9, 2018, all New York employers must provide their employees with an updated written sexual harassment prevention policy.
- As of October 9, 2018, all New York employers must begin to provide annual interactive sexual harassment prevention training to their employees. All current employees must be trained by October 9, 2019.
- As of April 1, 2019, New York City employers with at least 15 employees must update their interactive sexual harassment prevention training with additional topics to comply with the New York City law.
Read our complete client alert
Kasowitz's Employment Practices and Litigation group has extensive experience and familiarity with negotiating settlement agreements, defending sexual harassment and other employment-related claims, and providing sexual harassment prevention training sessions to employees. Our employment group has been recognized in Chambers USA, The Legal 500, Benchmark Litigation, and U.S. News - Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms.”